Cheap and Effective Ways to Maintain Your Furniture
When buying interiors to furnish your home, it can be long and drooling task bouncing from store to store trying to find the perfect piece of furniture for your home and that’s before you’ve parted company with your money to pay for it.
We at Ice Interiors know how expensive shopping for new home interiors can be. So when you purchase your items why not ensure they lost the maximum length of time possible. We have put together a guide of some of the main interiors that need maintaining that is both cost effective and quick.
Fabric sofas are amazing due the sheer amount of fabrics out there that provide many beautiful upholstered finishes. However when it comes to that time when it needs cleaning, you begin think why did I ever bother with one.
Before you clean it is essential you check the manufacturer’s instructions. The last thing you want is to be cleaning it with the wrong product and it becomes stained.
Normally on a cleaning tag that the manufacturer provides you will see letters that describe how you can clean your sofa.
- W – Use Water
- S – No Water, Solvent based cleaner needed
- WS – Water and a solvent based cleaner
- X – Vacuum Only
Make sure you never deviate from the recommended cleaning methods that the manufacturer provides.
If your sofa can be cleaned ‘WS’ or ‘W’ there is a simple and easy way you can clean those stains out.
- Firstly make sure you vacuum your sofa, get all the dirt and debris up so the rub in during the cleaning process
- Using 2 cups water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid and white vinegar (approx 1TBS)
- Using a microfiber cloth dampen in the solution and gently dab the stained area with the solution. (Scrubbing can caused damaged fibres)
- With a fresh cloth dampen in just water again dab the affected area get rid of any excess solution
- Blot the area with a dry cloth and dry using a fan and make sure the area is completely dry.
Maintaining Your Carpet
We all know that although carpet flooring is beautiful and provide a wonderful warmth to a room’s interior. However, your carpet takes a lot abuse over the years with spillages and just been walked over and cleaning your carpet can be very expensive if you hire somebody or have to purchase a cleaning machine.
There is a couple of way you can deep clean your carpet naturally and reduce the cost massively.
- Using vinegar, dish soap and water (similar to the solution for the sofa). By stirring a tablespoon of dish soap into water and adding white vinegar, you can simply message the stained areas out. Make sure you do test the solution on small spot on the carpet.
- Wine and juice stains are some of the most common found on carpet. Using a small amount of carbonated soda on the affected area it works as a cleanser. Using a dry cloth or paper towel, keep blotting the surface until the stain is gone. Ensure you gently rub the surface.
Solid Oak Furniture
We love oak furniture at Ice; in fact it may be our favourite. As we know solid oak furniture is extremely strong and durable but there a couple of things you need to do to maintain solid oak.
Re-oiling your furniture is the main thing if you have oak furniture in your household. After a while of receiving oak furniture you may notice that some of the surface areas of timber may have become cloudy and white in appearance. This means that a re-oiling is required as the timber is drying out.
This is totally normal with oak furniture and is very simple to fix. You only need to know a couple of things:
- What finish is my oak furniture? The retailer you bought your furniture from should know this from you order. You need to know this so you don’t purchase the wrong oak.
- Where can I get my oil kit from? Answer: Ice Interiors!
When oiling all you need is a fairly small amount of oil on a microfiber cloth and gently message it in to the oak surface. After 20 minutes wipe off any excess oil on the timber surface and repeat the process whenever the oak dries out again.
Below are some tips to ensure your oak doesn’t constantly need re-oiling due to it drying out.
- Avoid placing very hot objects on the wood
- Avoid placing furniture next to a radiator or in a place with direct sunlight.
- Do not use outdoors
- Avoid placing on heated flooring
- If any water or spillages occur don’t allow them to linger mop up immediately.
These are 3 interior hacks that will save you money and ensure you that you did make the correct decision paying all that money for you home interiors.
If you have any interior hacks you would like to share that you believe people would be interested. Please leave your comment below.